UX/UI Design Director
Wide Eye is an award-winning creative agency that does cutting-edge digital work for progressive causes, political candidates, and world-changing organizations.
We are seeking a motivated, creative UX/UI Design Director for a full-time position in Washington DC or New York City (elsewhere in the U.S. is possible for the right candidate). The successful applicant will help lead our interactive design practice and create user experiences and products that drive action. Applicants must have strong knowledge of user experience, research, interface design, branding, a good foundational knowledge of web development, code syntax and architecture, excellent communication skills, superb visual instincts, an eagerness to learn and a “can-do” work ethic.
Why work at Wide Eye?
- Work on meaningful causes, campaigns, and organizations
- Opportunities to work with a highly-creative, award-winning team
- Major potential for growth in the role and within the company
- Competitive salaries & benefits
- Ample Paid Time Off, including 12 holidays plus the week between Christmas and New Years Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Potential to participate in the company 401k and profit-sharing plans
- Professional development opportunities
Leadership & Strategy
- Guide Wide Eye’s overall product vision from an interactive design and usability perspective, and lead Wide Eye’s UX discipline.
- Conduct user research, interviews, surveys, user testing, journey mapping, and lead workshops on individual projects.
- Work in partnership with Project Management and Development teams to oversee execution of digital experiences, and ensure that they support all user-facing features and goals.
- Oversee creative work produced by more junior interactive designers and/or freelancers, providing guidance on interactive approach/vision and mentoring on strategy/execution.
- Seek opportunities to improve outcomes for our clients/partners through increased A/B testing, analytics, and optimization.
- Manage design libraries and design systems, and push the company forward on overall trends in technology and design.
Design & Production
- Creatively lead multiple interactive projects at once from start to finish – developing a clear design vision for a project, and communicating concepts and ideas to clients.
- Design clear, functional user experiences, including producing wireframes, prototypes, user interfaces, and design systems using Figma.
- Design and present web mockups (Desktop and Mobile) for organizations, campaigns, and corporate clients.
- Ensure UX design deliverables are client-ready and presentable.
- Seek opportunities for innovation, and to streamline and document our internal design process.
- Exemplify user-centric design culture, values, and principles for the broader Wide Eye team.
- Introduce new software to streamline our interactive design creative process and assist our clients in testing and prototyping solutions.
- As needed, manage vendors to support our UX practice on active projects.
- Help recruit additional design staff and cultivate future design leaders.
- Collaborate with the Creative Director and Associate Creative Director on evolving our company aesthetic, brand image, and asset library.
- Routinely post design ideas, works in progress, and finished work to Instagram and Dribbble.
Experience / Qualifications
- Minimum 7 years experience in UX and/or UI design
- Strategic thinker as it relates to website and mobile experiences
- Healthy understanding & curiosity of purpose behind the behavior of user groups, particularly as it relates to nonprofit organizations and campaigns
- Ability to concept and create compelling user experiences that maximize user engagement and action
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct design thinking for a wide range of digital products
- Expert knowledge of UI design principles and techniques
- Strong team leadership skills
- Expert knowledge of responsive design and mobile UI
- Expert-level knowledge of Figma and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with WordPress theme-ing
- Ability to perform in a fast paced and high-impact work environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and ability to present work to executives and larger groups
- Proven experience mentoring or managing other UI designers
- Highly-creative and resourceful
- Passion and pride in your work
- Interest in progressive politics and progressive causes
- Knowledge of CSS, front-end preprocessors, and frameworks
- Love of visual design
- Love of typography
- Experience with/passion for web animation
Annual salary range: $90k-$115k plus benefits
Apply for this position here. Please include your resume and either a link to your portfolio or recent work samples. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Wide Eye is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a diverse working environment. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
*Applicant must be US-based.